Alumni Information


In 2006 the university began using assigned GWid numbers to replace the use of social security numbers. The GWid is a 'G' followed by eight digits.

All alumni who have attended since Fall 1982 have been assigned a GWid in the university records system. To learn your GWid number you may use the GWid Retrieval Tool or contact the IT Support Center at (202) 994-4948 for assistance. The GWid number is required to use the online GWeb Information System.

Alumni who attended prior to Fall 1982 will not have a GWid. Please include whatever student ID number you used at the time with all requests. This may be your social security number, a six-digit ID number, or another alternate ID. Alumni with ANY attendance prior to Fall 1982 should not use the GWeb Information System because prior records are not electronic and only complete records can be provided.


Alumni with ANY academic records prior to Fall 1982 should submit a transcript request through Parchment Transcript Services.  Alumni with complete records beginning Fall 1982 may request official transcripts and view unofficial transcripts online through the GWeb Information System. If you do not know your GWid number, required for access to GWeb, please use the GWid Retrieval Tool or contact the IT Support Center at (202) 994-4948 for assistance. The IT Support Center can also provide information on resetting your PIN.


If you need a certification of your enrollment at the university or of the degree(s) earned, we can provide a Letter of Enrollment or Letter of Graduation if you submit a Request for Certification Services. These requests are completed in up to four business days.

Requests made for verification by a third party (i.e. potential employer; background service; or educational institution) must be directed to the National Student Clearinghouse, [email protected], or 703-742-4200.

Certificates earned through Strategy Execution may be verified by contacting them directly at 703-558-3000.

Diploma Replacement

A replacement diploma can be ordered through the online Diploma Replacement Form found on the Graduation Services website. Diploma orders are placed on the 15th of each month and diplomas take 4-6 weeks to be mailed.

Continuing Education

Interested in taking courses as an Alumni Auditor?

GW Alumni and DC residents age 60 and older who live in the neighborhoods surrounding the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses may participate in the Alumni Course Audit Program offered through the Office of Alumni Relations. In support of GW's commitment to life-long learning, this program allows these groups to take specific courses at the university at a reduced rate. 

At this time, GW's Course Audit program is on hiatus. Please see the Alumni Association Lifelong Learning website for updates.

Interested in taking courses for credit as a non-degree student?

If you are interested in taking courses for credit as a non-degree student, please contact the Office of Non-Degree Students at 202-994-1972 or [email protected]. Tuition is calculated per credit hour and tuition rates are available from the Office of Student Accounts.

Interested in earning another degree at GW?