- GW Home
- Our Location
- Admissions & Aid
- GW Experience
- Faculty & Staff
How to Register
To learn how to register you can follow the steps below, and also view an online tutorial to guide you through the registration process.
Creating a Schedule
- Plan your schedule carefully before you log in to GWeb.
- Prepare a list of alternate courses for each primary choice by listing course reference numbers (CRNs) in case your first choice(s) is not available.
- Identify any courses, such as Consortium courses or those requiring special permission, which are not available through GWeb.
- Make sure you have selected laboratories, discussions, and/or recitations (where required) that are appropriately linked to a lecture section.
- Be sure to avoid time conflicts.
- Make sure you have the proper Course Reference Number (CRN) for each of your courses. This is a five-digit number and is required to identify the department, course, and section you are selecting when registering. Each course and laboratory/discussion section(s) will have a unique five-digit CRN. Course Reference Numbers change each semester.
- Variable Credit Hours Courses are listed in the Schedule of Classes with a range of credit hours for which they may be taken. You will be automatically registered for the lowest number of credit hours. If you wish to change the credits, you must return to the Registration Menu, select 'Change Credit Hours', and enter the number of credit hours for which you wish to register. Check with your advisor and/or the professor of the course if you do not know the appropriate number of credit hours for which to register.
- Confirm days and times of selected courses in the Schedule of Classes prior to registering.
Logging in to GWeb
- Go to the GWeb login page
- Enter your GWid and PIN
GWid: This is required to access the GWeb Information System. Your GWid is a 'G' followed by a series of eight numbers. If you have forgotten your GWid, you may use the retrieval tool to look it up. You must enter your GWid with a capital 'G'.
PIN: Initial student PINs are six characters long and are generated according to the student's date of birth, in a MMDDYY format. The PIN, together with the GWid, creates a unique combination designed to ensure private access to certain university records. It is extremely important that your login information be kept confidential. You are strongly encouraged to change your PIN, which you may do through the Personal Information menu of the GWeb Information System.
PIN Problems: If you don’t know your PIN, please try one of the following options:
- If you have logged into the GWeb Information System before and have set up your security question and answer, enter your GWid on the GWeb Information System login screen and click on the "Forgot PIN?" button. When presented with your security question, enter the answer that you previously supplied and follow the instructions to reset your PIN.
- If you have not set up a security question and answer, click on “HELP” and follow the instructions.
Disabled Account: If you receive a message that your account has been disabled, please click on "HELP" and contact the appropriate office for PIN assistance.
Registering for Classes
- Check GWeb for any holds that may prevent you from registering at your appointed time. You will not be able to register prior to your scheduled day or outside of the scheduled days and hours of registration.
- Make sure you have your GWid and PIN ready.
- When you are ready to register, login to GWeb, select ‘Student Records & Registration Menu’, then ‘Registration Menu’. Click ‘Register, Drop and/or Add Classes’ and select the appropriate semester.
- The first time you log in to GWeb you will be prompted to enter your current address. Failure to enter the information will prohibit your registration.
- Enter your desired CRNs into the boxes and click on ‘Submit Changes'. You will immediately see if you have been successful or if there were any errors with your request(s).
- You may add additional CRNs by entering them in the boxes. You may drop courses by using the 'Web Drop' Option in the Action Column next to the course you wish to drop.
- Review your schedule to make sure that it is correct.
- Once registered, check your schedule on GWeb often for updates. Changes can occur, including location, time, or cancellation.
Following the above steps will help to avoid problems with your registration. If you have questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (202) 994-4900 or email@example.com.