Consortium FAQs for Visiting Students

Can I register for study abroad courses through the Consortium?

Study abroad courses are prohibited from Consortium cross-registration. Students may wish to contact the GW Study Abroad Office to see if the course is eligible for registration directly through the host program, and should also consult an advisor at their home institution to see if transfer credit would be permissible upon enrollment directly through the host institution.

How do I contact faculty to get permission to take a class?

Some courses may require approval of the faculty or department if restrictions or pre-requisites are listed in the Schedule of Classes, or as noted by the Consortium Coordinator. The faculty can be contacted through our directory, or you can check the department's faculty listing on the GW website. If you are unable to find the specific faculty member, then you can contact the general department email.

If you obtain permission from the instructor or the department, they can email [email protected] (or you can forward their approval) from their GW email address, and we will attempt to register you for the class at the start of the semester.

When will I know if my registration has been accepted at GW?

We typically begin processing incoming registrations one week prior to the start of the semester. Once we have had a chance to review the request you and your Consortium Coordinator will receive an email indicating whether your registration has been accepted, notifying you of any additional approvals which may be required (if permission hasn't already been submitted as described above), or indicating that the registration can't be accepted.

When will I find out how to log in to GW's systems?

If your registration is accepted, information about how to claim your GW credentials and log into our systems will be included in a Welcome email just prior to the start of the semester.

Do I need a GW student ID (GWorld) Card?

Consortium students who are registered in a class at GW are eligible to receive a GWorld card through our GWorld Card Office. Additional information is available on the GWorld website.

Can I sign up for parking at GW?

Students are encouraged to take public transportation or the GW Shuttle to campus, however, parking on campus may also be available. Please consult the Transportation and Parking Services website for additional information and eligibility requirements.

How do I request disability support services now that my registration is confirmed at GW?

After you have received your email confirming your registration has been accepted at GW, you should register as soon as possible with our Disability Support Services office if specific accommodations are required (ex. interpreting and captioning, assistive technology, test proctoring, etc.). Please also consult the Accessibility at GW website for additional information regarding other campus resources.

If I'm a student at an institution that is not a member of the CUWMA, can I set up a consortium agreement with GW?
George Washington University does not enter into ad hoc Consortium cross-registration agreements outside of the CUWMA member group. A list of participating universities is available on our Consortium website. You may wish to consult with your home institution about whether a course taken at GW would be eligible for transfer credit. If you are advised by your home institution to pursue this option, please refer to our Office of Non-Degree Students page for additional guidance on registration criteria and processing.