Undergraduate Transfer Credit

All domestic transfer credit must have been taken at a regionally-accredited institution. International transfer credits must have been taken at an institution recognized by the country's Ministry of Education.

Transfer credit is not awarded for the Joint Services Transcript to undergraduate students admitted to the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences, the School of Business, the School of Engineering & Applied Science, the Elliott School of International Affairs, or the Milken Institute School of Public Health. Students admitted to other schools should contact their admissions office to inquire about JST credit.

The transfer policies below are in effect for incoming freshmen and current students in:
  • Columbian College of Arts and Sciences (including Corcoran School of the Arts and Design and School of Media and Public Affairs) 
  • Elliott School of International Affairs
  • School of Business
  • School of Engineering and Applied Science 
  • Milken Institute School of Public Health 

School-specific transfer of credit for transfer applicants can be found in the University Bulletin under Assignment of Credit for Transfer Students


Pre-Matriculation Credits

Incoming freshmen seeking to transfer collegiate credits completed while enrolled in high school must have an official transcript sent to:

Office of the Registrar
44983 Knoll Square
Suite 390
Ashburn, VA 20147
[email protected]

External undergraduate transfer students will receive a Transfer Credit Worksheet as part of the admissions process. See the university bulletin section on Assignment of Transfer Credit of Transfer Students for more information. 


Current Students 


All Current Students 

The following policies apply to all current students:
  • You must have department approval for a course to transfer back to GW.
  • You are only allowed to transfer 9 credits (or 3 courses to a maximum of 12 credits total) from universities outside of GW once you have started your studies at GW. This is a rule that applies to credits obtained from foreign universities as well as universities in the United States.

Undergraduate students who wish to take courses outside of GW must receive prior approval in order to transfer the credits. The appropriate GW academic department must specify a GW equivalent course and your Advising Office and/or Dean's Office must approve the taking of the course for the transfer of academic credit. Your School must then submit an approved Transfer Credit Approval form to the Office of the Registrar; the forms are not accepted from students.

In order for school approval to be granted for courses taken elsewhere, students must satisfy the residency requirements of the University and their home school as outlined in the University Bulletin. Students should speak with their academic advisor if they need clarification on these residency requirements.

Courses must be taken for a letter grade, and transfer credit is awarded for final grades of C- or above. The grade earned does not appear on your transcript and is not included in the calculation of your GPA, only the credit hours transfer to your GW academic record.

Credit hours taken at institutions following a quarter or trimester calendar will be converted to semester credit hours (i.e., 3 quarter hours = 2 semester hours). Students are responsible for knowing whether their school follows a quarter/trimester or semester calendar.

You may not be awarded transfer credit for a GW course previously completed with a passing grade (except for designated courses with specific departmental approval).

No more than 9 credit hours or 3 courses may be transferred after enrollment at GW.

It is the student's responsibility to ensure that an official transcript is sent from the outside institution to the Office of the Registrar following the successful completion of the course:

Office of the Registrar
44983 Knoll Square
Suite 390
Ashburn, VA 20147
[email protected]

Up to 30 credit hours may be earned through GW-approved study abroad at non-GW institutions. All credit hours earned through GW Study Abroad are processed by the Office for Study Abroad. Credits obtained from a GW-approved Study Abroad curriculum do not apply to the 9 credits (or 3 courses to a maximum of 12 credits total) limit. These programs must be arranged through the Study Abroad office or through the office of your school dean, and must be approved in advance. If you have any questions, please contact your academic advisor in your home school and please speak to a Study Abroad advisor.